Friday, July 20, 2012

Garbage Salads are the BEST!

Business summer hours are a true thing of beauty! Whoever came up with the concept is a genius. You work your normal business week Monday through Thursday, and then you’re off at 2:00 on Friday just because it's summer. I usually just take off at one for a long leisurely lunch with no intention of returning until Monday. I think I’m the only corporate rebel who’s figured this out, but ahh well. Not everyone can be as smart as me.


Last week I went into the city for a hair appointment, and this week, I’m staying north and having a beautiful lunch at Biagi’s. It opened recently, and every time I eat here, I’m more impressed by this chain restaurant. That term usually has a negative connotation, but today, it’s really just a description. Today, however, nothing on the menu really caught my eye…that is until Sarah (friendly waitress) points out the specials menu. The first thing I see is the ‘Grilled Asparagus Salad’ and I gasp. “It sounds perfect!” I exclaim. Sarah says it’s her favorite on the specials menu, too.

Surely, they have to say that about all the menu items, so I just go with it. It reads delicious: grilled asparagus, blood oranges (that unsung star the show), soft boiled egg, oh my! I won’t divulge all, you’ll have to try for yourself, but I will say that every item on plate played like a symphony. I was a little worried about the truffle vinaigrette, thinking that the strong flavor of truffle would overshadow the other, more delicate essences, but it doesn’t! Textures and flavors all marry well…better than I did, but I digress. This peppery plate of wonderful should become a menu staple!

So here’s to summer hours, dirty martinis and garbage salads (my personal term for salads made up by the chef…usually me).



Regards,

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment